What is all the talk about prenatal yoga? Is it a workout fad? How will it benefit me in my pregnancy and labor? What if I have never done yoga before? Do I need my doctor/midwife approval first?
All valid questions. All I have been asked time and time again, so let's go through these questions and understand the importance of yoga during pregnancy and how it could influence your baby's birth.
1. Yoga is a mind, body, and spirit practice; however, in prenatal yoga we take it a step further and add baby into the mix.
2. Workouts trends tend to eb and flow; however, women will always be having babies and yoga is a wonderful exercise that prepares mamas both physically and mentally for labor. Many mamas find the poses introduced in prenatal yoga helpful in labor. Sometimes they even birth in a yoga pose, too!
3. Anyone can do yoga, so anyone can do prenatal yoga. I'm sure you know from first-hand experience or from a friend or family member that has gone through labor - it is a lot of work. Labor and delivery is one of the most rewarding, physically demanding, and emotionally draining experiences. You do need to prepare your body for what it is going to go through and help it heal post birth, too. Always consult your midwife or OB when doing any form of exercise, but know that breathing and meditation are two amazingly simple ways to prepare for baby.
Intros before prenatal yoga class
4. Community. When you come to prenatal yoga each week, you will meet other mamas on the same journey. It's like a club, and just by showing up, you are a member. Ask questions, share stories, laugh, and cry with one another. You will immediately know who to turn to once baby is in your arms because you met some amazing women in prenatal yoga. Bonus: you can meet all your fellow mamas’ babies in BYOBaby Yoga and continue together on this amazing journey of motherhood together.
5. Why not? Why not come to class and give it a try, you have nothing to lose!
Looking for Prenatal Yoga in the Corridor? Check out these fabulous options:
The Doulas of Iowa City blog contains guest posts by Doulas of Iowa City member businesses. We are excited to share with you about pregnancy, birth, and postpartum in Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, and surrounding communities and to help you connect to fabulous local resources.